(Jedox topped 12 categories in this year’s BARC Planning Survey. Our new 12-part blog series tells you why “Business Benefits”, “Ease of Use” or “Implementation support” should be on your check list when choosing business software. 4th category: project length.)
Long implementation times can be a serious problem. As McKinsey notes in an article on delivering IT projects on time, budget, and value, large IT efforts often cost much more than planned, and some can put an entire organization in jeopardy.
Don’t Blow Your Budget
According to McKinsey’s research, performed in collaboration with the University of Oxford, half of all large IT projects “massively blow their budgets.” What’s more, software projects run the highest risk of cost and schedule overruns. Among the principal causes: execution issues, including unrealistic scheduling and reactive planning. An antidote to this problem is an effective implementation methodology.
How Jedox Achieves Fast Implementation
Jedox’s implementation mantra is simple: plan, build, deploy. Jedox consultants work with users through their solutions from start to finish: from initial proof-of-concept to solution modeling to deployment and ongoing support.
Jedox employs an agile staged approach, delivering maximum efficiency and flexibility during implementation. Each stage represents a single development cycle consisting of clear-cut goals, requirements, and results. This approach allows for adjustments and realignments at every stage. This flexibility enables Jedox to meet the most complex requirements quickly and effectively from start to finish.
Plan, Build, Deploy: The Jedox Way
- Strategic workshop. Users define their project goals and timeline together with Jedox consultants at a one- or two-day workshop. Jedox clarifies business outcomes, map critical requirements, and project deadlines on the spot, producing a step-by-step plan and estimate that ensures confidence in the solution.
- Model design. Jedox designs for the overall model, interactively analyzing user needs: required outputs, data inputs, and derived calculations.
- Source data. Jedox connects to the user’s existing systems to create and populate the model with real-time data, automatically deriving key figures from the data.
- Reports and Interfaces. Customer end users and Jedox consultants design and create the user interface: the reports, dashboards, and planning templates. Together they run tests, evaluating results against requirements. The Jedox experts adjust immediately until they have a result that delivers what is desired. Then they set up secure user access.
- Formal training. Formal training. Jedox Academy training provides effective, long-lasting knowledge transfer, empowering a user’s team to build, maintain, and enhance their solution; this process secures long-term stability.
Jedox also implements performance management to empower users to improve their business processes. This means by the end of implementation, users have the critical skills and experience to be able to own and extend their own solution.
What Users Are Saying about Project Length
For those involved in business software selection, among the most important resources are the independent assessments done by the Business Application Research Center (BARC). BARC just released its 2016 Planning Survey, the world’s largest survey of planning software users.
Among those using development-oriented planning solutions (i.e., solutions that allow customers to implement totally individual planning requirements), Jedox ranked number one in terms of fast solution implementation, scoring higher than the peer group average in that sector (7.8 vs. 4.3). Here is BARC’s viewpoint on Jedox’s top-ranking performance in this category:
“Many projects seem to be accomplished on time and on budget leading to a top ranking in the “project length” KPI in two of its peer groups. “Solution templates” were introduced in the latest version of Jedox, providing predefined content based on best practices that can be used to create new planning models (e.g., for financial planning). These templates may also help customers to speed up projects, especially in the early stages.“
(Source: BARC THE Planning Survey 16)